On April 25 at the iForum in Kyiv, Ukraine, six winners were chosen from 12 semifinalists and 97 initial project submissions in the first MBioS Challenge. This Ukrainian biomedical startup competition was organized by the Ukrainian NGO Innovation House and the venture capital firm Borsch Ventures.
The winners were chosen in three categories: projects at the idea stage; startups at the pre-seed stage; and, startups at the stage of commercialization. These are the winners by category.
Projects at the idea stage:
- MUSIC-Med, a mobile ultrasonic surgical instrument, developed by researchers from Cherkasy
- Esper Bionics, a bionic-hand prosthesis project from Kyiv.
Startups at the pre-seed stage:
- An adsorptive carbon dressing project that heals wounds and burns.
- The Helsi.me service that helps patients arrange a visit to a doctor.
- Latrax, which offers to treat epilepsy using vagus nerve stimulation.
Startup at the commercialization stage:
- QROK, which has developed a navigation system for hospitals.
The winners of MBioS Challenge will be able to pitch their projects to British investors during a live videoconference sponsored by the Ukrainian Medical Association of the United Kingdom on May 12, 2018.
Additional information about the competition and the winners is available here.